7 Obstacles to Uncommon Success
The law of sowing and reaping is right in there with the law of gravity when it comes to immutable laws. If you want an abundant harvest, you’d better plant liberally. It’s easy to be enthusiastic when the seeds go in, but what about when it’s time to get out the hoe? Admittedly, if we’re really talking gardening, I might be known for groans and avoidance techniques. But when it comes to business success, I’ve got a roto-tiller!
With my glass-half-full outlook, I wanted to title this “7 Ways to Assure Success”. Instead, I feel compelled to get out the proverbial hoe and go after the weeds; the obstacles that can keep you from an uncommon harvest.
1) An Unteachable Spirit – Know-it-all attitudes are a pain. The people I most admire are people that are always learning. Have you ever noticed that truly great people aren’t full of ego and most often express a genuine interest in the people around them? Take note!
2) Broken Promises – Honor others through the honesty and integrity of your words. Case in point: if you owe someone money, make arrangements to pay them back, even if small payments are all you can handle.
3) Unforgiveness – I’ve heard it said that unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. It’s a sure way to put a kink in your hose. The past can’t be changed but we can learn, change, grow and move forward. I have a friend who loves to say, “get over yourself- it’s not about you”. She’s a wise woman. Forgiveness will set you free!
4) Unwise associations – Choose to surround yourself with people who encourage, challenge and bring out the best in you. Sometimes we have to disconnect from toxic people. I have a policy that if someone pokes me in the eye with a stick, I’ll forgive them, but I’m also going to move to a safe distance.
5) Undisciplined tongue – As food is to the body, words are to the mind and you are what you eat. Your words direct your thoughts, your actions and therefore become your reality. Speak about what you want – I teach a concept of using word “generators” to create an influx of energy.
6) Undeveloped Gifts & Talents – The kind of passion that will sustain you through difficulties and obstacles comes from an awareness that you are doing what you’re designed to do. If you haven’t tapped into that knowledge, connect with someone who can help you do a self-assessment. This is important!!
7) Lack of Commitment – Resolve and determination are as powerful as the unrelenting power of water to erode stone with its unceasing action. One of Winston Churchill’s most memorable speeches was simply this: “Never, never, never give up. “
If you need some help creating the success you’ve imagined, I’ve got the tools. What are you waiting for??
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams,
and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined,
he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.
~ Henry David Thoreau